AP1 - ALCOHOL COMPSUMPTION
Alcohol Consumption & Drug Usage by EMS Personnel
• Personnel should consider the following guidelines regarding the prudent consumption of alcohol:
• Personnel will refrain from consuming alcohol while wearing any clothing or apparel that
associates the individual with Waller County EMS, any of its parent corporations, or EMS in
general. Our industry crusades against the abuses of alcohol and its contribution to
illness, injuries and death. In no way does this policy suggest that no one in EMS should consume
alcohol, but that each of us take extraordinary efforts to avoid the association of alcohol with
EMS in general, and WCEMS specifically.
• Personnel shall refrain from consuming any alcohol within eight hours of a shift.
The use of illegal substances is strictly forbidden.
• Individuals having recently consumed any quantity of alcohol will avoid responding to calls
in any capacity. Should you encounter an emergency scene after consuming alcohol, assess
the situation and request the appropriate assistance. Persons under the influence
of alcohol should not be performing patient care.
• No individual shall act in an official capacity on behalf of Waller County EMS after
consuming alcohol or illegal drugs.
Obviously, we cannot foresee every situation that you might encounter.
Personnel are encouraged to exercise good judgment and act
prudently when drinking socially.